Join our server on Discord

Biggest surprise/dissapointment.
Man, everywhere I go, even here, there's like a 50/50 love or hate split on Final Fantasy 13. Eh, I hated 10 and thought 12 was meh, so I don't really have a lot of hope for 13 as of now. Really, I think the last great Final Fantasy was number 9.

Interesting side note, after 9 was when Square released that shitty Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie, nearly went bankrupt, and then was forced to merge with Enix. I can't help but wonder if that had some sort of effect on how Square makes these games now. Anyways, time to talk about some other games. XP

Surprises: Blades of Steel (NES): A fun sports game? Is there anything you can't do Konami?

It's a fairly simple game being as it's just an 8-bit hockey game, but the controls are good and your teammates are good at keeping up with you. The real selling point of this game is that it's one of the first hockey games to feature fighting where the loser gets sent to the penalty box. It makes no sense, but it's awesome!

Oh, and the advertisements between periods for Contra and Jackal were a clever touch.

Disappointments: Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES): It's a beginner RPG so several things are dumbed down. I can understand them simplifying things for people who are new to RPGs. Still, that's no excuse for giving your game a story so basic that it makes Final Fantasy 1's story look like a masterpiece. Honestly, all you get is that the world is in danger, go and revive the four crystals Hero.

Oh, and the location names suck, suck, SUCK! The first area in the game is Level Forest where you level up, but it gets better. The four cities in the game are Foresta, Aquaria, Fireburg, and Windia. I don't think I need to mention how they're themed.

There are two things that I like about this game though. One, I like being able to see your enemies. I don't hate random encounters, but I prefer being able to see my enemies. Second, enemies have different sprites for the amount of damage that has been dealt to them, which is a nice touch and makes it feel like you're making progress during a battle.

Really though, this game is awful. A two member party just doesn't work well, especially when you have enemies that can cast Stone and Confuse which can devastate you in one turn. Sure you can automatically restart if you lose a fight, but this wouldn't be necessary if they hadn't of made a game with a broken battle system in the first place.

Oh, and the real kicker of why I hate this game. In Japan, this game is known as Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest. Besides the fact that the game was actually created in Japan, now the average Japanese gamer will automatically assume that this game's suckiness was the fault of western developers. Fuck that!
Renamon's Army
Shadow Dragon Pack (SDP)
Lady Devimon's Minions

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Bee - 10-28-2009, 04:21 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Wisemon - 10-29-2009, 09:59 AM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Kurtz - 10-29-2009, 02:25 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Gol22 - 11-09-2009, 07:38 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Ryan - 11-18-2009, 12:51 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Lokki - 01-23-2010, 08:43 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Kurtz - 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM
RE: Biggest surprise/dissapointment. - by Kurtz - 03-18-2010, 03:51 AM