Join our server on Discord

I hate writing shit; it is so stupid
Herr Mullen Wrote:Also, this is very strange, by the way, so I'm enquiring; are you asking Wisemon not to compare himself to you? Are you asking him to stop looking at your style, and his style, and then look at what makes them different? And then, have you gone on to compare his style with yours? It just seems very odd; it looks like you're attacking his reveiws to say why yours are good in comparison. I'm certain this isn't what you set out to do, is it?

I'm not attacking his reviews for my benefit, I know it's his opinion and I respect that.

Yes I'm asking Wisemon not to compare himself with me. But no, I'm not trying to compare styles of reviewing. I'm simply stating that my reviews don't focus only on an author's style, as a matter of fact, I try to stray away from inflecting on his/her style and focus on his/her prose.

I don't want him making me out as some template to judge himself. It irritates me.
Marine Wrote:I don't want him making me out as some template to judge himself. It irritates me.

Oh, he wasn't doing anything like that. He was just saying there are more critical reveiwers than himself out there. You were just an example.

Marine Wrote:But no, I'm not trying to compare styles of reviewing. I'm simply stating that my reviews don't focus only on an author's style, as a matter of fact, I try to stray away from inflecting on his/her style and focus on his/her prose.

Sorry, I got the wrong impression. By talking about your style of reveiwing in a thread in which Wisemon reveiws things, and making implication that Wisemon focuses on author styles, I got the wrong idea. Sorry; my fault entirely.
Quote:Oh, he wasn't doing anything like that. He was just saying there are more critical reveiwers than himself out there. You were just an example.
Is that what I was doing? I think it was, but it's been so long, I can't remember for sure. I think I was just going by some of the super low scores I've seen Marine dish out to aspiring writers. I think I was just talking on an overall grading scheme.

Quote:Things like repitition of phrases, stilted dialogue, reflections of actions, are all things nuetral--not related to style. Of all people, you could merit such a lesson, but that's another story.
I like to give my characters catchphrases, and I don't like to give fluffy dialogue. That's just my style. Other writers have other styles, and I wouldn't try to push them to conform to a single style in a review. I try to push for good characterization, grammar, spelling, and an intriguing plot. I admit that I don't ask for much as a reviewer. I also admit that my reviews are rather short. I'd rather focus on my own stories, but in reviewing, I can praise, rant, and hint to authors when I feel so inclined. I'll admit that I don't take the responsibility of reviewing all that seriously. It's just a way for me to express my opinions. Do with them what you will.

By the way, I realize that I just repeated a phrase several times here. Like I said, that's my style. I admit that I'm more of a poet than a novelist.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
And the award for the style most resembling an author I had to read for my British literature class goes to
I know that you saw me.
Old Reliable isn't part of the series; I'm afraid Wolfe made a bit of an error.

I shouldn't have used so many characters, I think. Five would've done. Even that, in fact, would still be difficult.

As for Reliable, the ladder was a bit of a strech, but I was always thinking of her climbing up to, perhaps, a second or third storey flat.

Thanks for the rating; I'll try to remain impartial in the competition.
Well that sounds interesting. And too bad he didn't go to france, that was pretty nice what she said. And it's probally hard to say anything romantic in australian.
UnknownH Wrote:And it's probally hard to say anything romantic in australian.

It's not to hard. Just put a questionmark at the end of every sentence.
Quote:It's not to hard. Just put a questionmark at the end of every sentence.
Or save your date from a mugger by saying, "You call that a knife? This is a knife."
I know that you saw me.
And that, along with a SNL sketch about dirty phone calls in australian, is the joke.
One of my weaknesses as a writer is that, despite the comedy that I mix into my stories, my plotlines tend to be memorable and melodramatic, which leaves me wide open for a parody. It finally happened. Fortunately, it wasn
I know that you saw me.