Join our server on Discord

Question regarding fanfiction ethics
Since this is a question about fanfiction, I figured this would be the best place to put the question:

In fanfiction, is using real-life people frowned upon?
I don't think there's really a standard for it. I would say that if you use a real person in fanfiction, treat them like you would a character from the Original Art (ie: show, book, movie, etc), but treat that person's real life as your Original Art.

So if you would make fun of Tai Kamiya, make fun of MLK Jr. But if Kari earns serious treatment, Indira Gandhi does as well.
That depends on the nature of the real-life individual and their relationship to you (the author) and the story.

IE: Using someone like a prime minister or president would be fairly passable with no cries of insertion. However, inserting your best friend, worst enemy, or anybody else you know personally will often call down hordes of critics over your use of self-insertions and Mary Sue characters.

Of course, there's still the issue of their reltionship to the story. If World Leaders suddenly become Digidestined or the Gym Leaders for a Pok
There are more clever ways to allude to people we all know and love. For example, in one of my stories, I used the adjective "chainy" to refer to Azulongmon.
[Image: AppealtoReason.jpg]
"I looked up and saw you;
I know that you saw me.
We froze but for a moment
In empathy."-Rise Against
Fanfic characters you create yourself to put in can be hard sometimes so I base it off some people I know as well In my own original series I couldn't think of how the two main characters would look like and some people I've seen inspired the design and basing them off people makes it more realistic and enjoyable. So that's what I do.
I only have one of my self insertion lemons in the DAD curenttely and even there I'm not outright named. :biggrin:

.... My older lemons on the other hand involved brilliance such as this.

"So this is the shuttle that will take us to their space ship?" asked Tank Cop. "Where did you find it?"
"I didn’t find it! I MADE IT!!! I was inspired into making it after seeing ’TinTin in space’!!" said MISTER BIG T, even more proudly than before.

And who could forget

The others tried to escape, but MISTER BIG T quickly jumped in front of them. They were now surrounded. Even though there were more of them, they understood that one person like Santa or MISTER BIG T is worth of 10 of their kind.
[Image: Seethsig.jpg]

[Image: promo.jpg]

Lord Patamon Wrote:King of sadism alright, that's a perfect title for you
Wisemon Wrote:There are more clever ways to allude to people we all know and love. For example, in one of my stories, I used the adjective "chainy" to refer to Azulongmon.
That is not at all a valid comparison. Qinglongmon *never* shot anyone in the face.
That's kind of funny/clever. But I'm sure you know he meant about all the chains.